Pages

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Brad Pitt, Nicole Richie and My Holiday Shopping!

Brad Pitt, Nicole Richie and My Holiday Shopping!

Happy Holidays to everyone! Are you all done with your shopping? I hope not. Why? Because www.anysoldier.com could use your attention. Looking to do something nice for our soldiers? Visit this site, choose what branch of service you want to choose from and pick the soldier you want to send a box to -- they often post pictures and a wish list of what they are looking for. My children, mom and brother all chipped in to send Sgt. Zapata a box of goodies! I sent it today -- rice krispies treats, trail mix, popcorn (they have a microwave), candy canes and more! The kids loved going to the dollar store to pick out some of the stuff and we hit the grocery store for the other stuff. We also sent little footballs, books, puzzle books and more.

My brother, Chris, decided this year that in lieu of giving his nieces/nephews gifts this year, he was going to have them choose a charity and donate to that cause. All year my kids thought about where they were going to give. I know they'll get plenty of things for Christmas from me, family and friends and this was another great way to give back -- I know they aren't going to miss the one extra present they would've had from Uncle Chris. So...what did they choose?

My 10-year-old daughter chose the ASPCA and, as a result, will receive an ASPCA magazine for the next year, so she'll continue to learn about the organization and the good work it does for animals.

My 13-year-old son chose St. Jude's Children's Hospital and was sent a keychain as a special reminder of the amazing work this hospital does. Check out their website!

My 15-year-old daughter is an animal lover also and one of her favorite animals is the Grey Wolf. So she went to the World Wildlife Fund website and adopted one! She even through in $10 of her own money so that she could upgrade her donation! She'll receive an adoption certificate, a plushie and a photo.

So we've worked hard in trying to put others first this holiday season, but I'll admit that I always spend too much during the holidays.

On the celebrity front, former partygirl (we hope!) Nicole Richie and her boyfriend Joel Madden, who are due to have their first child in January, donated baby gifts to 100 expectant families in need through the newly-formed Richie Madden Foundation through the Los Angeles Free Clinic.

Brad Pitt
is spreading the word about helping New Orleans and building homes. Check out my friend Jane Boursaw's blog for more information on what Brad is doing http://ruby-shoes.blogspot.com/

No comments: