Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

Beatrix Potter, Oprah


This past weekend, I had the opportunity to watch Miss Potter, an extremely delightful movie that was released in 2006 and starts Renee Zellweger as the famed children's author Beatrix Potter.

For those of you who have never heard of Beatrix Potter, stop reading right now and go to the nearest bookstore. Look up "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" and "Benjamin Bunny" and her other books. Then come back to my blog once you have done so."

I loved this movie so much and I learned something about Miss Potter that I never knew before. According to the movie, Beatrix Potter, who came from a wealthy family but ultimately grew a mass fortune of her own thanks to her children's books, began purchasing mass amounts of land.

In 1923, she bought Troutbeck Park Farm and in 1930 bought the Monk Coniston Estate, which was 4000 acres from Little Langdale to Coniston, which contained Tarn Hows and more and more and more. She ultimately left 14 farms and 4000 acres of land to the National Trust when she died in 1943! A true celebrity-do-gooder! You can learn more about what Beatrix did here and go rent or buy the movie!


Oprah's Big Give!
Anyone watch this show yet? I haven't had a chance too, but I'm going to try and catch it this week. The premise is that these contestants are giving a bundle of cash and then told to give it away. The winner wins a million dollars and there are prizes and many twists and turns along the way. I'm glad Oprah has people moving to help other people. Let me know what you think of this show!

No comments: